Monday, September 24, 2007

It's been a long time






















I thought this would be an appropriate title for this set of images due in part that is has been a very long time since I've been to the zoo. I recently received an assignment/challenge from my friend Paul who is sometimes referred to as "The Teacher" to get some shots from the zoo. He has shot a lot of good images at the zoo in Carolina and gave somewhat of a field guide of "How to" shall we say get good shots there. He knows how i feel about challenges so i quickly accepted this assignment and headed to the zoo. On his field guide he put everything you needed for a good day of shooting accept he referred to the kids as sometimes "unruly". Well the kids at my zoo were a step beyond that, it took some real "patience" to get some of these shots. I thought that as long as i stayed away from their territory the "children's petting zoo" i would be ok, but i quickly found out that the whole dang zoo is their territory. I'm sure my kids were the same way the first time they saw an animal that they had only seen in books or on television. However i do know that as a parent i would have made sure that they observed the don't push or step on the photographer sign. All in all it was a good day of shooting and i appreciate the "Teacher" for challenging me to step outside the box and focus my lens at the animals. Enjoy.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Well, Grasshopper, it is almost time for you to leave! :-) You are completing your 'assignments' with speed, accuracy, creativity, and great desire. Who could ask for more?! The pictures are fantastic!

I love the close up of the Baboon. It looks like you were right there in the enclosure with him! Personal friend of yours? ;-)

Looks like next time that I come to Dallas, we have to take a trip to the Dallas Zoo and the Fort Worth Zoo! I've already added the Asheboro Zoo on the list of things for Richard to see.

You'd better hurry up and get here because the list is getting longer and longer. I hope that you have a lot of vacation days! :-)

Anonymous said...

Richard,

You got some great photos from the zoo. The results proved the patience was well worth the bother.

I look forward to seeing more of your shots.

Anonymous said...

All the shots are good...but the second last is superb!!! Amazing colors. Love the first one as well.

Monterey John said...

Oh my, that second one from the bottom is WAY good. Nice job.