Friday, September 14, 2007

Hmmm.........












Sometimes it's fun to try and figure out some of life's little secrets. Like why as you get older does the hair in your nose start to grow as long as the hair on your head? Why do women have to go to the bathroom together? Have you ever wondered what hummingbirds do when they are not humming? Well if you have today is your lucky day. While at the Mission in Carmel this little secret was revealed. I was working deligently to get a shot of one of these little guys doing his thing with the flowers but they are sometimes just to fast to photograph. I finally got a shot but it only made me want another, so I followed him very quitely and then I saw it. He was "perched" inside a huge rose bush. I dont know what made me think these little guys just hummed around all day and never stopped because surely at some point those little wings have got to get tired. So the second picture shows that these little guys like to hide from us inside rose bushes (secret hiding place revealed). The third picture shows what happens when a pesky photographer gets to close and the hiding hummingbird hears the click of his camera and see's the flash and knows his secret place has been exposed.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots!
very impressive.

WJWilson said...

I keep seeing these little guys feeding off a tree in my back yard and never have the camera ready in time before they're gone. Great capture Richard. Hopefully I'll get a shot here soon.

Monterey John said...

Hmmmm, we are on the same page I see :)